A. 過去[未来]完了進行形：had [will have] been -ing
- My son had been watching TV since seven o’clock.
- Casals had been resisting war for over 30 years.
- Our math teacher will have been teaching here for 20 years by the end of this month.
B. 予定・運命などを表す「be動詞 + 不定詞」
- He was to live in exile for the rest of his life.
- Books and magazines are to be published in both English and Japanese.
- These endangered animals are not to be found in the wild.
- If Casals won’t leave Prades, why don’t we hold a music festival there?
(=If Casals won’t leave Prades, let’s hold a music festival there.)
- Who does not love his or her birthplace?
(=Everybody loves his or her birthplace.)
- Who knows that secret?
(=Nobody knows that secret.)