ENGLISH GRAMMAR 35
A. 名詞節を導く接続詞 that
- The truth is that it is impossible to lay down these rules.
- The fact is that the castle was completely destroyed by the battle.
*The point is that…, The reason is that… etc
B. 前置詞 + 関係代名詞
- They have achieved something to which nothing could be added.
- These are the wonderful carvings about which I told you yesterday.
cf. I gave Tom some advice, to which he would not listen.
- Little did she dream of winning the game so easily.
cf. She dreamed little of winning the game so easily.
- Nor have these artists disagreed with us.
- Never in all my life have I seen such a sad accident.
- Not a word did she say when she left me.
cf. She did not say a word when she left me.
- People who worry over things we may call fussy.